Finish basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillonfickas

Reaction score
So I'm finishing my basement and there is duct work and electrical in ceiling, I don't want to do the traditional drop ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas? Something interesting, it's an old home, but refinished and looks great upstairs, trying to make the basement match.

So I'm finishing my basement and there is duct work and electrical in ceiling, I don't want to do the traditional drop ceiling. Does anyone have any ideas? Something interesting, it's an old home, but refinished and looks great upstairs, trying to make the basement match.

I have the same dilemma to deal with in the future when i finish my basement. I have seen people paint the floor joists, ducts, wiring and plumbing all white. This may be a good look for a cottage theme. I however may paint mine black to make it all disappear and give the feeling of a larger room. I know it might sound crazy - black for a larger room - but it does have the effect of having everything above your head just disappear.

I have also seen that The Olive Garden uses black painted lattice in some areas. They also had the structure above the lattice painted black.

Do a google image search for 'Basement Ceiling' and I'm sure you will come up with other ideas.

............... I however may paint mine black to make it all disappear and give the feeling of a larger room. I know it might sound crazy - black for a larger room - but it does have the effect of having everything above your head just disappear..............................
I don't have any idea regarding such issue. But I like the line "black for a larger room". :).

Are you still working on this? You can be creative. You can try and make the bulkhead look like a Greek or Roman beam, maybe some nice columns?
Of course it depends on the style of your home. I've seen people make the bulkheads look like faux brick. Again it has to make sense with the rest of the room.

Latest posts

Back