DIY sofa upholstery

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
I am building in a l- shaped sofa to fir in the living room. My idea is get the hard foam and some memory foam over it, the same size a piece of plywood on the bottom, 40"x26". Then cover with leather upholstery. I would make make 6 pieces like this. 3 for the bottom and 3 for back rest. The back rest would have a sloped frame. The two pieces would just intersect there.

I'm not good with sewing let alone sewing leather. So i'm thinking just folder over like bed sheet, then staple it to the backing of the plywood.:confused:
I found some 85sq feet of upholstery leather on ebay for $300.
How do you think this project will work out? I figure it is still much cheaper than buying new furniture.

The stapling is how they do boat seats and upholstery so if that is the look you are going for it will turn out pretty good. Also if you want to sew it, most older machines will do leather no problem, they seem to be more powerful. I bought an old (Like 50 years old) machine from an old lady that had it for drapes and used it for a couple years on projects until it sat for a while so I offed it.

Back