My new electrical service

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

Reaction score
Started work on my new electrical service . Meter base mounted SERVICE MAST INSTALLED AND CUT OFF .

Could not find my weather head . Slipped the service jack down over the conduit , but have not " dryed it in " with screws and black asphalt "pooky " .

Next I need to install the cables / wires up the mast and cap the mast with a weather head .

Then drive a ground rod and run the ground wire .

God bless
Wyr

DSCN0440.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

It looks like you need some major tree pruning as well.

You are 100% correct . I quit early , it looked like it could rain , quite suddenly .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

When I get the new service hot , I will remove the 2 breaker boxes and the round meter base .

I have a Rain-Tight loadcenter I will put up , to the left side of the new meter base . ( After doing some sheet metal repair & painting of the aluminum siding . )

God bless
Wyr

When I get the new service hot , I will remove the 2 breaker boxes and the round meter base .

I have a Rain-Tight loadcenter I will put up , to the left side of the new meter base . ( After doing some sheet metal repair & painting of the aluminum siding . )

God bless
Wyr

You may want to consider having just an enclosed disconnect or main breaker outside as your Service Disconnecting Means (SDM) and have your lighting and appliance panel-board in some convenient hallway wall inside. There is nothing a lot more obnoxious than having to go outside in the rain or snow in order to reset a circuit breaker. With the new requirements for Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) protection of all but a few of the homes circuits nuisance tripping becomes a lot more likely since AFCIs incorporate Ground Fault Protection of Equipment at a thirty milliampere trip level.

You could install a weather proof enclosure in which to make splices to the old work at the location of the new service and then extend the circuits to the new panel location. Or, if there is an accessible wall space behind those existing fuse boxes you could install either the new panel or a less expensive indoor enclosure just behind the existing fuse box locations that faces into the house.

With either approach remember that panel enclosures may not be located in bathrooms or close closets but junction boxes that enclose splices can be. Junction boxes need only be accessible and can be located behind the contents of a shelf, a picture, or any other readily removable concealment as long as you don't have to remove structural components or the interior finish for access.

Panel enclosures must be READILY accessible without tools so as to permit access by the occupants so that over-current protective devices, such as fuses or circuit breakers, can be readily renewed or reset.

This is just a suggestion and is certainly not meant to imply that you are required to do it. In some parts of the country you are actually required to have the Service Disconnecting Means located outdoors at a location acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).

Good luck with your project.

--
Tom Horne, Electrician

The rain-tite loadcenter outside will be a 6 main system . All 2 pole Circuit Breakers .

Range , dryer , indoor loadcenter , electric water heater , 4 ton condenser and a spare . The spare is in case I decide to add another indoor loadcenter . Or to feed other HVAC equipment . Or an air compressor .

God bless
Wyr

With either approach remember that panel enclosures may not be located in bathrooms or close closets but junction boxes that enclose splices can be.

Hahahaha ... Imagine my surprise when I walked into a condo conversion and discovered the subpanel for the unit was on that bathroom wall. You could sit on the toilet and touch the base of the box.

How did that pass inspection?

Received a green tag ( inspection passed ) . Depending on weather , hope to get the new service hot in a day or two . Then start replacing the old stuff withn new .

God nless
Wyr

Green Tag.jpg

Back