joining new foundation to old

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklingel

Reaction score
We are considering adding on to our present house; 2 story, daylight basement. We would add onto the daylight side, essentially expanding what we have horizontally. The new building will have its own footers and foundation wall. How do I tie it to the old building's footer and foundation wall? I am envisioning drilling holes every X" in the old footer and foundation wall, "gluing" in rebar that sticks out Y", then encasing all of said rebar in concrete when we pour the new building's foundation system. OR, we could just build the new building 4' from the old one, have a walk-way on the second floor that allows travel back and forth, and then tie the roofs together. Surely this has been done 10,006 times and somebody knows what works, what caveats to watch for, etc. Anybody here know this? All the ground that the new building will sit on is undisturbed, pre-historic dirt that has been driven on for 30 yrs. Thanks. john

you're correct - l bolts epoxied into the existing conc fnd,,, imagine your bldr'll use mortar against the existing, too.

my other suggestions would be a rope to swing back & forth thereby saving the cost of a walkway :banana:

imagine your bldr'll use mortar against the existing, too.

my other suggestions would be a rope to swing back & forth thereby saving the cost of a walkway :banana:
Thanks for the reply. "My builder" will be me. I am checking my plan w/ an engineer, who will also be the inspector; guaranteed inspection passing if I do what he says, or improve on it! He did not mention joining the foundation walls other than at the edges, but I am going to do that anyway; can't hurt, and concrete in a good foundation is cheap compared to the cost of skimping and having a sagging house down the road. On the swing, will I need automatic door openers, or just free-swinging doors that I can slam into?;)

of prime importance is waterproofing the exterior of the foundation walls & footer w/trowelable oofing cement or stuff similar to sonneborn ' sonolastic ' then protecting that course w/something similar to ' delta drain ',,, that will prevent wtr from penetration,,, installing a properly designed ' toe drain ' running to daylight will complete the item.

Back