Oh Boy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swise1026

Reaction score
Howdy, I live in Okinawa, Japan. It is warm here, but my place is an 'old house' built for Americans. It is "CONCRETE"...(cinder block) to be more specific. Currently, it is always cold in here (house), I speculate that when summer comes it will be like a furnace. Any ideas to conserve what heat we get during the day? The tricky part...what I can do is limited by city ordinance, so I'm looking at any ideas. I believe the solution will be simple, but I ain't figured it out yet. In the U.S., this is a cakewalk, here it's a little more complicated.

'old house' - ungrounded outlets
- 208 plugs outdated
- all plumbing and water nozzles are 1/2"

That's old. Thanks for any ideas.

Steve:

The first thing that comes to mind is, Keep the curtains opened during the daylight hours especially where there is exposure to direct sunlight. Then keep them closed when there is no sun. Insulated curtains work better than some folks give them credit. The sun will warm things inside the house and that heat will radiate out after the sun goes down. I live in a brick home where the southern and western walls are shaded by the trees. I usually am the last one on the block to turn my A/C on. Then when it gets cold, the sun shines on through and we let it in.

I lived in an apartment building for a while that was completely exposed to the sun all day. In the heat of summer, you could feel the heat radiating through the insulated wall. The A/C was working itself to death all through the night to compensate for this heat.

Whatever you find, share it with us. I may try it on my shop.

Tom in KY, 68f outside today, near perfect.

Back