? epoxy agg or decorative concrete over existing concrete - seeking advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmrradd

Reaction score
I live in Morrison, Colorado. Have existing ~ 600 sq ft concrete patio. Considering resurfacing - either exposed porous epoxy aggregate or a stamped concrete. Hoping not to remove existing concrete. Tough environment and want tough, minimal maintenance finish. Temperature ranges from -10 to very sunny 100 degrees.

Advice? Is an aggregate gonna stand up? Is stamped decorative concrete clearly tougher and lower maintenance?

thanks in advance. Mark

Welcome Mark:
I would want an epoxy binder used and then add at least 2" of concrete of either kind. Either one will have a tendency to hide any cracks that may appear.
Glenn

i don't know of any epoxy that's suitable for exterior use,,, resurfacing w/polymer-modified cement conc is our main work & we never use epoxies of any type outside.

colorado's not a particularly harsh environment for conc,,, if it were, there wouldn't be so much of it used :) for harsh, try 40degree swings in 12hrs when the conc'll be poppin' back & forth in size,,, knowing the trade, i'd opt for resurfacing OR acid-stain & seal,,,

typically you'll use 3,000 to 3,500 psi conc while the avg o'lay mtl's 5,000+,,, aggregate's stone so that's not an issue,,, stamp'd dec conc isn't 'clearly tougher OR lower maint',,, then again, its your home !

good luck !

ps - glenn suggests an epoxy-bond'd conc overlay,,, that is an acceptable method however any crks in the original conc will usually reflect in the upper course.

Can be made into a design you so chose. I am not sure about the epoxy. If the epoxy cracks afterward it may not show up as much as a crack in the decorative. Unless your installer can fix the crack without it showing up in the decorative concrete. Ask questions.;)

Back