Siding Project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottodo1

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I've been doing a bunch of little stuff so I haven't chimed in for awhile but now I am. I had originally hired a contractor to do my siding. He has since stolen my money and is ignoring a small claim order to give my money back and looks like he's filing bakruptcy....

SO now It's time for my if you want it done right do it yourself speech. But I have a few questions.

I removed some of the siding from the garage, underneath was some 25 year old buffallo board that was rotted. Big deal buy some OSB and move on. I also had to cut a support for the house so to get it back to code I have to put OSB on the corner anyway, so might as well do the whole thing. Not a big deal. What size OSB do I need for this 1/2"? Should I wrap this or put pink board up over this?

When I got to the house to put in the 2nd new window it's 6" construction BUT there is PINK 3/4" 3.75R foam board on the outside but NO OSB below it. The seams are not taped and I'm not sure what to do... I will be putting in a window soon but it looks like it's blown insulation behind the pink board. Should I tear down the pink board salvaging as much as I can put up OSB then put the pink board back up and tape any holes/joints? If I do put it back up should I spend an extra Grand to buy the thicker higher R foam board?

Should I tape the seams then just wrap tyvek over the OSB then put my new vinyl up?

I've only removed a few pieces of the old fiberboard siding. Should I just put that back yp and then put the new vinyl over the top of that?

I was just looking in the IRC and it looks like N1101.10 shows that I live in Zone 7. Table N1102.1.1 then says the wall needs to be 20+5 or 13+10... R10 foam board is like $22 a piece....

Any thoughs?

Last edited:
7/16 osb is standard for wall sheeting.
I have seen pictures of houses that just have sheeting on the corners to hold the square and the foam board on the rest, if it's not broke I am not sure I would change it.
If you have a vapour bearier on the inside behind the drywall I would not tape the foam.
It might be a good idea to talk to the building dept. at city hall to find best practice.
For the windows you want to use the newest code, here we call it rainscreening.

Back