Repairs to a Craftsman tablesaw

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
It was running good till I shut it off and then as the blade spun down it seized as the RPMs got pretty slow. I can sometimes get the shaft to turn but never really free & loose. I suspect the shaft or the bearing.

What I really want to know is - if I start digging in here to replace parts, is it gonna come out neat, or do I need to get every part on the list? It doesn't sell as a kit, it's all a la carte from Sears. Of course, I could buy a whole new motor assembly, but I'm pretty sure the motor is not burnt out.

Take it apart and see what's bad before you just start buying parts. But my luck is the part I don't replace will break the next time I use it...just sayin....

Belt driven or direct drive?
No model # so it's hard to suggest much, just ask more questions.
Belt driven, remove the belt to see what's moving and what's not.
All bearings and seals have an ID etched on the outside and can be bought on line or at any bearing distributor for about 1/3 the cost of buying then from parts direct.

Sorry...should have realized. Direct drive. just sort of hoping that someone would say "yeah it comes out all neat & easy" or "no, the thing practically flies apart when you open it".

Oldog, you're probably right. Everything else in there is the same age, so no great hopes that this will make it great. I was considering replacing the whole saw, but then I'll want something better than this thing and that'll run me a few hundred bucks. I could just get a new motor, but I might want to tinker with this one.

image is for reference. You can see the actual parts list here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/Craftsman-Saw-Parts/Model-137248481/0247/0744600/50020284/00005.html

Sears saw motor.jpg

Yeah, that's my next step. And that's when i'll know if I have to order anything. I was assuming the unit was sealed (I know what happens when you ***-u-me) so the thought that it might be dirty was not in my head.
Which leads me to ask what i would have to do to seal it up right?

It's not likely sealed. My radial arm saw motor would just hum and I had to finish a job asap so I went and got a new motor only to find sawdust had fowled the switch that helps it decide to go in one direction. $400 Just need to be cleaned.

screw sealed. my voltage regulater went out on my riding lawn mower. i pulled.

drilled the rivets. took it apart and cleaned it, put it back together with screws

been running for 2 years now. saved me 20 bucks..actually more. the trip to go get it

the copper contacts were green

So I took the motor apart this evening. Trashed one of the four screws on the front plate, but managed to get it out clean. Way more sawdust than I expected, from front to back. The shaft and the front bearing seem fine. A bearing at the back of the armature is frozen. It isn't listed separately as a part for sale, looks like it's part of the armature assembly which lists for about $120.

I found a video on Youtube, where the guy pulls apart essentially the same motor and finds the same problem with the same bearing. He ended up cutting through the old bearing to remove it- i guess he did not have a bearing puller (and neither do I). It doesn't look too hard to find a replacement from a third party vendor, but I'm wondering how long the other bearing will last now. I remember seeing a replacement motor for about $150.

So my options are: chase down the replacement bearing and get the old one off somehow, or...buy the armature assembly, or....buy a new motor.

Google motor repair shop in your area, the bearing maybe $10 and 10 minutes labour.
Industial supply shop will have the bearing and might be able to install it.
Auto repair shops can do this work if you find the bearing.
We also have local companies that speciallize in repairing tools.
Is that enough to keep you busy??

Clean the bearing well and look for a number on it. Most bearings have numbers like 6202, 6203 (most popular) 6304 etc. I have most bearings on the shelf for popular pump motors and even ceiling fans use the 6203. Most popular bearings can be had for under $10.00. The 203 is $4.55. The shipping might be more than the bearing.

Back