Crack in new siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS123

Reaction score
We are utilizing a contractor to repair some rotted Masonite siding on our house. He just installed roughly 8 sheets of new siding (Masonite equivalent/match from Lowe's) and every piece has a slight tear/crack at the bottom right-hand corner (not very deep at all but they all penetrate the outside material). Rough picture attached. When I asked the contractor about it and that we wanted these replaced, he said this is normal and was caused by the band holding the stack of siding together and happens all the time. He indicated when they prep/caulk prior to painting, there will be no risk of future water damage. He did agree to replace two of the eight sheets as these were slightly indented more than the others but said the others were completely fine. He said he would warrant the others for 10 years.

Does it sound reasonable that a tear to the outside material poses no additional risk given that we are paying for NEW replacement siding?
Thanks for any feedback to see if we are being unreasonable in our request to replace it all.

142.jpg

That is why we always purchase materials ourselves and go through them by hand at the store. You would not believe the percentage of materials being sold that are damaged by the strapping, forklifts etc.
I personally would not pay someone to install broken stuff on my house - I could do that myself for free!

Does it sound reasonable that a tear to the outside material poses no additional risk given that we are paying for NEW replacement siding?
Thanks for any feedback to see if we are being unreasonable in our request to replace it all.

It's unreasonable, and he sounds like a hell of a guy for replacing the two.

His warrentee is only good intill you pay him and he drives away. Find the manufacture and see what they say, most have web sites and ph numbers. The manufactures protect corners on there products, this kind of damage is caused by middle men and should not be accepted by or your contractor.

Latest posts

Back