Closet Drawers do not slide easy, how can i fix them?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I purchased a closet unit from Lowes, i got three drawers with it. they assembled easy but they do not close smooth, i checked the rails on the side and they are level along with the ones on the drawers themselves.

they seem to get stuck right before they go into the unit, are they any tips or tricks to get them to slide nice and easy? thanks

Sounds like the stop to hold the drawers closed.

I had an IKEA unit that gave a real struggle to move the drawers.
After years of waxing and soaping the surfaces I took the whole thing apart and put 1/16" shoebox cardboard shims in a few places. You don't notice the gaps unless you look for them.
Still, only certain drawers can go in certain slots so I had to glue a sheet with instructions on the bottom of the unit for one of the combinations that worked.

With three equal size drawers and three slots you can have many combinations. The first drawer goes in one of three places, the second drawer goes in one of two and if the third drawer doesn't go you have to start over with the first or second drawer. Keep track.

Last edited:
Check to see if the drawers are square, turn them upside down and measure from front corner to opposite back corner then measure the other two corners, should be equall.
Check the main box it self for square and then check everything has the same measurements front to back.

Try use an old candle and rub the wax on the sides or some wd40 to lube it

Sent from my ST21i using Home Repair mobile app

Back