Repairing Shower Pan

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeVilla

Reaction score
OK, got a call from a nice lady with a plumbing emergency. The plumber who punched a hole in her clogged shower pan discovered the old copper pipes had been left in contact with the cast iron drain. The resulting elctrolysis cut a hole in both pipes causing a leak and a drain failure. He restored service partially as the picture shows.

Now the lady has a hole in her shower pan. Once I restore the supply lines I have to re-set the p-trap and drain. Then re-tiling is needed after I strip all old tile from the pan.

Problem. The picture shows a dark line under the top layer of the cement. (Look carefully at bottom left) That line is the original hot mop. It "water-proofed" the pan. Now that it is punctured, what do I do?

-- Restore plumbing, bury it in a layer of sand, pour new cement to the finish grade, re-tile as planned.
-- Restore plumbing, bury it, then pour a first layer of cement, apply some water proofing, then pour a 2nd layer of cement to finish grade.

Need some advice here.

IMG_0023.JPG

Well after your plumbing is corrected and fixed, cement the hold back in. there shouldn't be any copper lines in the slab with out some sort of protection around them so that another thing to consider but how big is the hole as compared to the shower floor bed?... I'm thinking a hole new pan and tile. If it was just a ditra shower mat that's one thing to just patch it up with sheets but a shower pan is one hole unit.

If those are "sharkbite" fittings in there, I wouldn't leave them there as a permanent fix.

The Emergency plumber did the shark bites. Not my favorite either.

Remember, the piping will be covered with clean sand. My question is NOT YET answered. How do I waterproof the first layer of cement -- or do I bother?

You won't be able to if you are Just repairing the hole and not taking the hole shower stall out.
Only thing I can suggest or would do to water proof it is to square out the tiles around the hole and mortar the ditra or kerty mat on.

Back