replacing threasthold

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
is it possible to replace just the threashold on an entrance door? The door is newer (steel) than the 100 year-old house. Current T.H. is plastic and broken and I really don't want to replace the entire door right now.

Hello ALPS:
Yes, it is possible to replace the threshold and the sill. Door sills and thresholds are sold at the big box stores and can be installed in 1 hour to half a day. Make sure the new sill is fully supported with shims and such to get the maximum benefit.
I think you are talking about the sill needing to be replaced. That is the piece that is attached to the bottom of the frame that bears your weight. Not to be condescending or persnickity, the threshold is the added piece under the door to make the weather seal and the transition from the sill to the floor inside.
My sincere apology if I have read it wrong.
Glenn

Take the door completely out and remove the old threshold. They are usually screwed through the bottom anyway. There are different types and you will need the one from the door manufacturer most likely. By removing the door , there may be some writing on the inside jamb of who made it.
Take the old one with you for comparison shopping. It may need to be ordered, so get ready to temporarily seal the hole.
A picture would help also to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.:)

Back