Just getting started..need help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T1C

Reaction score
I want to begin to remodel my house. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to begin. Flooring, paint, kitchen, windows...its an 80's style contemporary house that needs to be updated. Any advice is welcome.

Do all your demolition first, next do all your replacement work/ new work, then painting and finish with your flooring. You can stage your interior work separate from your exterior work. Good luck if you are living there while remodeling.

My suggestion would be to first set a budget. Price out all the materials and outside trade help that you may end up needing. Then add 30-50% to it for unforeseen things that will come up or you didn't think about.

If you are living in the house during the remodel try doing it one room at a time. Break the big project up into smaller projects. If you do all at once it may become overwhelming. Give yourself a chance to accomplish smaller goals.

Start with the most immediate need first and don't shutdown all the bathrooms at once.

Do all your demolition first, next do all your replacement work/ new work, then painting and finish with your flooring. You can stage your interior work separate from your exterior work. Good luck if you are living there while remodeling.

I think only the kitchen and bathrooms will need demo work, and maybe removing all of the old ceramic floor tiles. So what your saying is to first take care of the major structural items and then get to work painting and doing the flooring correct?

My suggestion would be to first set a budget. Price out all the materials and outside trade help that you may end up needing. Then add 30-50% to it for unforeseen things that will come up or you didn't think about.

If you are living in the house during the remodel try doing it one room at a time. Break the big project up into smaller projects. If you do all at once it may become overwhelming. Give yourself a chance to accomplish smaller goals.

Start with the most immediate need first and don't shutdown all the bathrooms at once.

Is it ok to price out quotes and not be ready to start certain projects?..i dont want to piss off the contractors.

T1C, I am a project manager for a roofing company and I bid work all the time for people who are interested in planning for future projects. I can't speak for any one else, but I don't mind giving quotes for people to be able to set a budget either for immediate start dates or delayed start dates.

Don't worry about ticking off the contractors, cause we work for you, not the other way around. Find contractors that will educate you on the installation of their trades and can work within the definition of the scope of work that you detail. Remember that pricing is volatile and can change as material and labor cost change.

Yes, I prefer to get all the mess out asap. You can always do one room at a time, but if you can do it all at the same time it will go faster. Don't worry about pissing the contractors off we are used to it!

I think since you have the demolition work also do that work first then take up on other works. it will look neat.

Back