Toilet Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDP1999

Reaction score
I having problems with my toilet. When it is flushed, it drains out but not all the way. What might the problem be? I think it has something to do with the flap not staying open long enough. How can I fix this?

drains 3/4 of the way out.

It could be any number of things ranging from parts in the tank that are not set or, working properly, clogged internal passages from the tank to the bowl, to a clogged toilet.

Only going through some troubleshooting will you find the problem. More information is needed for us to say anything.

Using a 5 gallon pail about 3/4 full and pouring the water directly into the bowl as fast as possible will reveal if the toilet is clogged or, if there is a tank to bowl problem. Try it and report back.

toilet wasn't clogged. The water went stright down. Can i put a video up on this site?

If there isn't enough water in the tank to begin with it won't completely flush. Let it full to the max and try it once.

I having problems with my toilet. When it is flushed, it drains out but not all the way. What might the problem be? I think it has something to do with the flap not staying open long enough. How can I fix this?

drains 3/4 of the way out.

I suspect that your tank is filling up with enough water. Adjust your float & see what happens.

Okay then you have either a tank problem or, a tank to bowl problem...

The last paragraph of this article will tell you exactly what you need to do.

I raised the tank level above the fill line and still have the same problem, unless I hold the handle down. Anything else I can do?

Depending on the type of flapper you have. Some have a type of reservoir that holds water keeping the flap open till the water level is low enough.
Another type has a chain and if it's too short it will let it close too soon.
How is yours supposed to work and can you tell why it's closing too soon.

I have the flapper with the chain. I'll try making the chain longer and see what happens. Thanks!

I can't tell.

Back