Anode Rod Inspection

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRIANL00

Reaction score
May I inspect the Anode Rod on a gas water heater myself? I just had a SEARS Kenmore water heater(MODEL NO 153.331572, 50 Gallon) installed and I want to do preventive maintenance. The Owner's Manual(p.26) says 'Inspection should be conducted by calling the Sears Service Center for an authorized contractor'. If I may do it my self, what is the procedure? Also, on a related matter, does connecting the cold water inlet and hot water outlet pipes on a water heater with a copper wire increase the life of the water heater?

If the heater is new then do not mess with the anoide. Any one can check one but I'd guess that 99% or more have never been checked unless the water all of a sudden starts to stink.
On the top of the heater there's what looks like a hex bolt head that's about 1". Shut off the water supply and just use a socket to turn it and lift it straight up and out.

I've never heard of or ever seen a wire on the supply lines, years ago before PVC, and plastic pipes it used to be a legal grounding point, but is no longer legal.

The only yearly maintaince on any water heater that I would suggest is to remove some of the sedamant out of the bottom of the heater by connecting a garden hose to the valve on the bottom of the tank and letting it run a few min. No need to shut off the supply water or the power to the heater to do this. You do not drain the whole tank just let it blow out about 5 gal. or so.

Back