Sub Panel Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandiec

Reaction score
Just purchased a new house and at the inspection the inspector advised me to separate the ground and neutrals in the sub panel that feeds the garage. How can this be done? Also I have an older style main panel that does not have a single breaker to shut off all circuits there are 5 which were grandfathered in.
This brings me to my next question I am installing a 220V hot tub. Can I feed the 40A breaker from the sub panel? So now question 3 how would I derive the 220V from the panel (how do you accomplish this) I have done different electrical jobs wiring sockets light fittings fans etc but never taken on anything this big and i want to get it right for obvious reasons. I do intend on put a GFCI outside for this as well as the manadtory shutoff within 10ft of the tub.
Thanks
Sandie

Just purchased a new house and at the inspection the inspector advised me to separate the ground and neutrals in the sub panel that feeds the garage. How can this be done? Also I have an older style main panel that does not have a single breaker to shut off all circuits there are 5 which were grandfathered in.
Does the feeder from the main panel have four wires (black/hot, red/hot, white/neutral, green/ground)? If so, it's straightforward: just buy a ground terminal block for your subpanel, kill power, install the block, and move the grounds (and the ground from the feeder) to it. If you don't have a ground from the main panel, you would need to run one first. If your garage is detached and has a separate grounding system, you would need to tie that into the grounding block too.

This brings me to my next question I am installing a 220V hot tub. Can I feed the 40A breaker from the sub panel? So now question 3 how would I derive the 220V from the panel (how do you accomplish this) I have done different electrical jobs wiring sockets light fittings fans etc but never taken on anything this big and i want to get it right for obvious reasons. I do intend on put a GFCI outside for this as well as the manadtory shutoff within 10ft of the tub.
Thanks
Sandie
You need to do a load calculation for the existing circuits on the sub. What size wire is used for the feeder to the subpanel? What size breaker is used in the main panel to feed the sub? That will help you determine if this existing feeder can handle the new load. Fair warning that you probably don't have 40A "extra" capacity, but you never know....

220V just means that both legs from your service (red and black) supply a single appliance (using a double breaker). Panels are designed such that consecutive slots are fed from alternating legs.

Matt

Latest posts

Back