Question about routing hot/cold supply lines

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
are there any general rules about this, other than being supported every xxx feet?

i have all buried copper lines and need to fix a few small leaks and install cutoffs everywhere and was thinking about just replacing it all at once with hanging cpvc to get it over with.

You can easily go from copper to cpvc with snakebit connections. Its new connections that allows you to simply slip in copper or cpvc into the fitting and it locks it in place. this are a little pricey around $6 but as long as your not plumbing your whole house with them its a great option.

when using cpvc make sure you debur the ends good and if possible flush the pipes when done. little pieces of glue and plastic can cause you big head aches. also when working in a finished area be vary careful with the purple primer this is a stain you will never be about to get out. but also make sure its coated very good. 2 coats work best. i heard there was clear primer but have not seen it for sale yet.

keep your eye our for cold water only fittings. I have no idea why they make them but stay way. I had to make a couple extra trips to the hardware store because i didnt notice it. avoid plastic theard connections.

A good supply line should be able to drain out completely so avoid dips or traps. this will be useful if you ever need to winterize your house.

yes you can go ahead with the orignal suggestion or you can switch over to all pex piping. pex is just as cheap as copper but a much better product..will last much longer and very easy to work with..all you need is to rent or buy a crimper tool for pex..no solding.....handyman

Yes, you can go to CPVC. Don't use female threaded adapters though. They are prone to cracking and leakage. Beware of Sharkbite couplers. Even though their website states they are code, most codes do not allow any type compression fitting to be used unless it can be seen at all times (such as under a sink).

Spindoctor,
If you can get your hands on some crimpers, PEX is a very good product. You do need to make sure the crimpers are adjusted properly, you should be able to get a "Go-No Go" guage where you buy the PEX. What you do is crimp a ring on a fitting and then check it with the guage. You will probably have to go to a real plumbing supply for both. I would also stay away from the plastic fittings. The manufacturers claim they are better but I prefer the brass fittings.
You could also certainly use CPVC. That's what I have in my house but I think PEX is better.

Back