Cannot drill into stud

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpgr

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in an apartment that was built in the 2000s. I was told drywall, I assumed wooden studs. I bought magnetic stud finders, found the nails and then could even see them painted over when I looked closely. I went to the hardware store and bought black oxide drill bits. The store employee said they'd work for just drywall/wood studs. When I hit stud, I cannot drill any farther.

I'm hanging an Elfa shelving unit so it will need to support some weight. I guess I'll just have to call the apartment office tomorrow and ask if it's metal studs (if they even know). It's a wall that is shared with another apartment building.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

You may have hit a cover plate that protects electrial wires from being drilled into. You will have to move the hole a few inches up or down to avoid the metal plate. If it's a metal wall stud, you should be able to drill through it, they are just made of thin sheet metal.

Thank you for your reply. The only reason I'm skeptical that it's a wire plate is because the same thing happened in my kitchen area when hanging up my knife rack. Unless I'm two for two.

Have you considered finding some heavy duty wall anchors. Depending on how heavy the material is, this may be able to hold the weight. I would consult someone at the hardware store first.

Ouch....

So if you hit another wire protection plate as before, it's time to get that lotto ticket... Gary

Back