Broken Beyond Repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the call. Delivery is in route. Hopefully you are home to tell them where to put it.

I am home, may have to be put in house [I have no clue how big roll is] because garage is a little complicated at the moment.

Thank you again Chris!

No problem. The roll can sit outside I'm sure. The rest is small stuff.

Got it...thank you Chris! It's in the house, reaching out and trying to get the help to get it up so we're all most there on this step. Will share pictures when it is.

Got a picture of the fusebox in the shower...I hate touching that thing, it scares me.

He was going to turn that so it was on the outside of the house but I think that too might be a problem.

There is something about bringing things up to code if they are being moved, I think. I don't see a ground??

The back of the house is directly behind that box, would it really be that much trouble? Technically, it's a no no to be in shower, but the other electricians I had come look, were going to skim around it [put it in a protective box I believe]...only reason I went with this contractors guy was because they claimed they could flip it, but as we are finding out a lot of it was just smoke so who knows if he really could or not.

I talked to the Iowa workforce [osha] today and the guy that showed up to test my siding said it was asbestos [25% and some other details I really didn't understand]. The contractor was given a citation.

I was told that if I or volunteers take the siding down, that it would be ok. If I hire someone however, it changes things and they would have to be bonded particularly to remove it.

A question that has popped up, is what to do with it once it's down as you can't just toss it in the bin [big fine and the bags/disposal fees are crazy high]. My brother has an abandoned farm out of town...is it dangerous to burn? I would assume yes, but I'm just a little lost at what I'm going to do with this stuff as I take it off...part of the reason that pile of junk is still laying in my yard is because some of it is in there and we just don't know what to do with it.

Anyhow, just thought I'd update what was going on there.

Last edited:
Proper disposal for Asbestos pipe I deal with aout here is to wet it and bag it. Most of our landfills will take it here, I believe they have a way of recycling it. Start searching google to see if there is any place near you that will accept it.

If you tear it off yourself I would wet it first, it is the particles that are bad and when wet they won't fly around.

Yes our dump takes it, but it has to be double bagged in this special bagging [300+ per bag]...least that is what I was told. I will have to call to be sure [as neighbor got fined for how they did it], but as of now it will just be that little corner so I can get that side sealed and that'll be easy enough to stack out of the way behind the house.

Been better, been worse...having a little more trouble than expected. Waiting on Lions club to respond [they responded once, but haven't heard anything back from that]. If they don't, then going to call a school friends dad and see how much he would charge to seal side as it just needs to get done.

Sorry for the long delay, wasn't planning for things to take this long. Hope all is well on your end.

Last edited:
No worries about delays, applebear. I just hope that stuff starts getting done and that you get the help you need. I hope the lawyer will help you get some restitution.

Thanks for your patience all, I really do owe you for getting me out of that curled ball...some tough times still coming, but I'm going to try to stand strong and not be so hard on myself.

I had a long talk with a childhood friend today. She's sharing the gofundme page and trying to help get attention on the matter. I am a little scared, but trying to hold it together.

She called me just a bit ago, and I don't want to get too ahead of myself as it may not be 100%...but her brother said if I'm not too picky about the siding or color, he would like to donate what it would take to cover that side. From what he says, the materials Chris donated would be able to be used along with the job.

I'm not sure if the mold on the inner walls are going to be an issue, but friends husband and brother are coming tomorrow to take a closer look and get measurements.

Last edited:
I think you're the one who has been patient, applebear. You're the one in the bad situation. Glad people were able to help you thus far. It can really be hard to pick yourself up and move on when things go wrong, especially when something like this happens. It can be hard to trust people after getting screwed over.

I hope the mold situation gets taken care of asap. I have a friend who basically sprayed bleach or something all over the mold on his walls (a tree fell on his house and jacked the roof so he had water coming in all over) but I don't know how effective that is.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping things work out. I'd love to see updates, but at your convenience. You've got enough to stress over. So, take care of yourself first. :)

Back