Contractor scams!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

Reaction score
I was watching the news last night and people were getting ripped off by contractors left and right. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on how to AVOID these scams. I know how to tell if a contrator is a professional, just dont know about the getting ripped off part.

I think the people who are getting ripped off is because they didn't did enough research for the company or professional they hired. I suggests to look for several options before hiring someone. Ask your friends and family if they know any of the entities you're about to hire to or you could try to find a review of them online to make sure they are trustworthy.

People who are getting ripped off probably didn't get more than one estimate. If you get several estimates you should get a pretty good idea of what you should be paying. I don't always suggest with going with the cheapest, but I do suggest getting several different people to come out and give you an estimate.

If you don’t know what you are really looking for, you will get ripped off. So the first rule is to research the product or service you are looking for. If you are looking for a roofing contractor, first research about the roofing work, process, material, costs and etc. Then you should get quotations from several contractors. You should compare several quotations to get an idea about the process and cost. Do a proper research on the company you are planning to hire. Reviews are very important when hiring a contractor. Get genuine reviews.There are review sites like Angie's List with real user reviews. Please remember that you should not pay the whole amount until job is completed.

Back