240 surprise

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmccue

Reaction score
My flourescent ceiling fixtures began to flicker and go out in my tool area...so did other things in room. One fixture actully began to smoke....I took this fixture out of system and began to do some amateur testing....drill and fan operated...but any incandescent bulb I plugged in instantly blipped and then went out. Non ceiling fixture compact flourescent bulbs operated brightly but ceiling tubes out...wuz up....I meter in wall "110" outlet.....meter shows 240!! After a few minutes I reengage ceiling switch while watching meter in wall outlet....tube flourescent fixtures flicker as meter shows 105 to 130...within 20 seconds, tubes go dark and meter rises again to 240! I notice another ceiling tube fixture has evidence of old plastic melt area yet it has worked properly over last several months...seems that power coming into out building has unexplainably gone from 110 to 240....why oh why??!!! Athanks for any ideas. Robert

You've lost the neutral for your service.

CALL THE POWER COMPANY RIGHT NOW

Seriously, do it now, they have guys on 24/7 for just this reason.
This is a serious problem that very well may be on their end.

Also, shut your power off at the main.

This will prevent further damage to other stuff, like electronics.

Wouldn't it be nice if folks like this didn't forget all the forums they posts the same question to and came back to let us know they are still alive and not living in a burned down house.............:rolleyes:

It is always nice to get some results from your answers,

I wish, I wish....

Just hangin.....:(

Back