200 amp sub panel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! I didn't look at the dates; obviously. Now I want to figure out how a notification about this thread could show up in my in box so many months late. If I hear Rod Sterling in the background I'm gonna seriously freak.

That's quite ok nornetd. :) We do appreciate someone with your "season" contributing to our conversations. It brings "light" and we get to learn more from ones like you that have been in the field for so much longer than us. Thank you for your help! This way when someone in the future does a search on a topic they will find useful information to guide them.

As far as why you just got notification of the post; well I will leave that to a moderator.

If I hear Rod Sterling in the background I'm gonna seriously freak.

That's great!! I am about 62 now so I remember those great evening programs with Rod; gotta love them!! :)

Last edited:
I installed a new 200 amp underground service a couple years ago . It comes into the house at the opposite side of where the existing panel was . So I installed a new 200amp murray panel , then fed my existing panel with a 100 amp 3 wire and turned it into a subpanel.. All inspected .

Now this is where I ended that project. So I never a dressed the garage and out building , which are not wired properly as they are fed with a 2 wire , and not a 3wire. I'm want to adress this now , but my first question is .....

I'd like to remove the 100 amp wire and install a 200amp line to the second panel , but I don't see a 200amp breaker available . (Then I'll re use the 100 amp line for the garage ) . What's the proper way to feed 200amps from a main panel to a 200amp sub panel ?

The cable going to the sub panel must contain 3 insulated wire plus an earth ground , which may be insulated ( green ) or bare .

Why do you wish to increase this sub panel from 100 amp to 200 amp ? Have you tripped the 100 amp Circuit Breaker feeding it ? Haveyou ever tripped the 100 amp CB ? Are you planning on adding substantial load to the sub panel .

Wyr
God bless

Last edited:
Back