saving wood framing in a basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
A while back, i stripped down a basement wall where I was getting water. We managed to stop the water through extensive outside waterproofing and the wall has dried and remains stone-dry for a while now.

Here's the question: I don't really want to take down the 20 ft.-plus of wood framing that is in good condition. But I don't want to just cover up the studs because moisture can still be a problem in the future. Is there any kind of treatment or coating that I can apply to the wood framing to make it withstand any moisture? I'm imagining some kind of spray-on plastic coating that would protect the wood and allow me to go forward on the basement without reframing this wall.

If you are going to apply a vapour barrier between studs and drywall you can consider your wall outside. Treat it with the same stuff as treated lumber has. You can buy it by the gallon and it kills left over mold spores. Our inspecters call for it even inside if there has been mold in the area.

So, if I understand this right, I can treat the wood as long as I put the vapor barrier on this side of the living space.
Does this cause problems with trapping moisture in the empty space between the studs, or with any insulation I should use? I imagine fiberglass is not an option with this setup.

In a cold zone like we are in the poly is required and with that all air is stopped at the barrier and venting is required on the outside wall to allow moisture out. It's not a matter of if but when it get wet back there. Older houses that were sheeted with shiplap have lots of holes, we drill holes in plywood sheeting. In an underground basement we install fresh air vents, it all code here.
You should talk to local city building inspectors for what is best in your area.

Back