Which flooring for condo which I'll eventually rent?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLink

Reaction score
I'm currently remodeling a 715 sq ft 2 bedroom condo, which I plan to live in for a few years before renting it. I want a wood or wood-look plank flooring, and I'm looking to spend around $5/ft total (flooring, underlayment, installation, etc.). I could go up to $6/ft if need be, but only if it's really worth it.

Considering it'll be installed everywhere but the bathroom, it'll need to be water resistant and on the lower end of the maintenance schedule (renters). I think I've considered just about every type of flooring, and I just can't seem to decide.

Right now LVT is at the top of my list, but there are so many price, product, and installation options that it's difficult to decide. I'm thinking I should go with a glue down installation, since I'm concerned about gaps developing, and both the stove and refrigerator will be sitting on it. Right now the unit has a plywood subfloor with particleboard on top (had carpet). The HOA has no restrictions, with proper soundproofing.

What would you guys recommend?

Last edited:
What ever you put down will be worn, damaged or out of style in ten years so keep cost at the top of the requirments. If you replace it again when it is rented it will be tax deductable.

Since the floor is particle board, you will need to float whatever you install. I would probably use LVT. It will be easier to dispose with after a tenant ruins it. Laminate takes up a lot of space in a dumpster.

Back