New Patio and Tree Roots

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
So I'm digging so I can begin work on my new paver patio when I encounter a tree root. The root is about 1.5" in diameter and about 10 feet from the tree. I'm wondering if cutting the root is okay given it's proximity to the tree, or would it still be harmful to the tree?

The best thing to do is have the tree cut down and grind the stump down below ground. Cut the root and you may kill the tree or the trees just going to grow a new one in time.
Any patio near a tree will have tree roots lifting it up for ever, plus the leaves always falling on it will get to be a pain.

Its the only tree in my yard and it is well over 50 ft tall. I won't be cutting it down for a patio worth less than $500.

I have three options.

1. cut the root and hope the tree is okay
2. build a raised patio, over the buried root, stepping off the patio into my yard.
3. Shorten the diameter of the patio from 12 ft. to 10 ft, avoiding the root altogether.

I would choose the raising patio/deck option. This will allow you to have the size patio you'd like and you could adorn the borders of your patio with container gardening, small shrubs, colorful flowers, and/or even a water feature.

The only drawback is possible unwanted critters residing under the patio/deck. To ensure this does not happen, install applicable size boards horizontally across the length of your deck on the bottom.

Remember to powerwash and stain your deck at least once every other year for optimum durability/life.

Good luck on your outdoor endeavors!

Find an arborist "tree doctor" to tell what the tree is and how to protect it and whether or not you can cut a root.

Cut the root. Losing a 1-1/2 inch root is not going to kill a tree that size.

If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest re-sizing your patio.

Good luck!

Back