Grad Student Writing Paper on Branding and Looking for Opinions On Disston

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dori

Reaction score
I’m a grad student doing a project on branding.

I’ve decided to focus on Disston Tools. Apparently, Disston is where Black and Decker was years ago: Black and Decker owned the DeWalt brand name and decided to launch it so they could develop professional notoriety, and they did.

It appears that Disston is in a similar situation with their Blu-Mol and Disston brands.

They are thinking that Disston could be the next DeWalt, but do not have the notoriety issue in that the Blu-Mol brand is positioned well (I think) in the minds of consumers and pros. I’m inclined to think that they should build on the Blu-Mol brand and maybe offer a sub brand in Blu-Mol Xtreme as they have done in the past due to the small but existing brand awareness.

My questions: Who among you recognizes Disston? With enough time and money, one can launch any name as a brand, but why spend the money launching another brand (Disston) if you can make a power brand out of Blu-Mol?

I am very interested in hearing what do you think and thank you for your help.

I'm quite familiar with Disston--it's a small town just a few miles from where we live here in central Oregon, on Brice Creek Road. Not really a town, just a wide spot in the road with a few buildings. Kind of a quaint, little place.

Not the answer you're looking for? OK, I can remember when my Pa had a Disston handsaw downstairs in his workshop 60 years ago. It was one of the few tools he had that us kids were given strict orders on--DO NOT TOUCH! He treasured it like a family heirloom, and I can still remember him using it to cut through stock like a knife through soft butter. A good saw. He didn't own any power tools at the time, and later made his own crude table saw.

Don't hear or see the name anymore. Are they still in business?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, BridgeMan.

Yes, Disston is still in business.

Disston was the best hand saw when that mattered. Don't understand the branding thing. They could call it Crappy and if its the best at a good price it will sell as long as they advertise it.

I've had a set of Disston drill bits for about 20 years. A few broke over the years and I replace them with whatever, because I just don't see the Disston name anymore.

Back