Roof advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averagejoemn

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to home ownership! My fiancée and I are in the process of purchasing our first home and I'd like to get some opinions on my roof. Obviously it is older and probably ready to be replaced, however, with winter coming on in Minnesota we probably won't be able to do anything till spring. Is anyone seeing anything here that is in urgent need of repair?

Thanks!

image-1669978133.png

image-776182840.png

image-1008141416.png

image-1858323361.png

image-3958497450.png

I see 2 minor things. One area looks like someone had to do a patch in a farly large area for some reason. I'd go look around in the attis so see if you see anything funky in that area.
#2 Where that lifted shingle is I'd go up on the roof and see if it a nail poped out. If it is, just lift the shingle gently and pound it back in and add another one next to it.
Just looking at the picture I'd guess there only around 5 to 7 years old and not in bad shape. If you ever do change the shingles have them add ridge vents and do not use 3 tab shingles, go with archeticural instead and get the life time warrentyed ones from GAF.
When working on that steep a roof I use one of these on my ladder.
http://www.birdladder.com/products.php?id=415&path=459

Last edited:
I am in no means trying to insult you.Your roof is NOT a DIY'r friendly roof.It is very steep and it is very dangerous for you to attempt any repairs yourself without knowledge of walking a steep roof.

IMO you should call for a roof inspection from a professional.Many homeowners every year are seriously injured or killed by trying to perform repairs without knowledge or abiding by necessary guidelines pertaining to fall protection.

I am not saying you could not do it.,I am only trying to direct you with safety being first and foremost.

You need to learn how to negotiate such a roof and also understand your equipments intentions and also its limitations.

But yes your roof has a couple of issues but a first hand inspection would determine if you will make it through the winter.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RoofMaster-Plus/164320613635014

Last edited:
Back