Help with disconnecting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlSmith

Reaction score
I need to totally remove a commercial 4 bulb fluorescent light which is at the end of a run. What do I do with the remaining wires? Put them in a junction box?

Yes that would work, make sure to cap off the wires, if you can figure out where it is fed from I would disconect it there and tag the wires for future reference.

Cap them and then put electrical tape around the cap. Those things can pop off over time, leaving you with an exposed live wire.

Thanks for your replies.

When you say "cap them" do you mean put a wire nut on each wire individually?

Thanks

That's what I did.

You COULD just wrap them in tape, but then you're counting on the tape to stay on over time and that's a risk I wouldn't take compared to a $.05 wire nut. Twist a small one on each wire, then wrap it in electrical tape so it's secure. Then still move them far apart. In can make a cheap spacer out of a piece of cardboard with some holes poked in it and the wires fed through the holes. No telling when a critter will be wandering through your ceiling looking for a snack.

Yeah, probably overkill but it's a very cheap way to remove risk.

There are only two ways that are code compliant.
1. Put them in a junction box and cap them individually.
2. Disconnect them at the other end and then do anything you like with them. Leave them. Remove them.

JoeD, right on. I would go with his #2. Disconnect them in the next fixture in the run.

If you cap them in a junction box. The box must be accessible always and have a cover on it.

Back