Hey from Oklahoma

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrigginBozo

Reaction score
I bought this small house so I wouldnt have to pay crazy rent when I retire. But now I gotta fix it up and need to start with the porch rebuild. House was built in 1920 and the porch was built in 1820 and stored in a closet till house was built I think. The framing is all rotted out but the deck seems OK. Probobly been replaced within the last 100 years. Cant realy see the deck cause its got this stuff called paint on it. The house has some pieces of that paint stuff all over it too. That paint stuff would be a good idea if you could cover all the wood with it. Any way my question- What wood should I use for the framing and for the decking, think I would rather have plank than plywood but thats only my preferance. Which ever is best wood (would) probobly be best though. Ill leave it up to you for the best choice. Remember Im an Okie so words with 5 letters or less are best.
You can e-mail me at [email protected]
I dont have any pigs or cows so I probobly cant pay you.

Hello Bozo and Welcome to the Forum:
I would use pressure treated wood for the frame and deck at the mimimum. If you want a lifetime deck you could use some of the new composition or plastic deck boards, however, these range from expensive to extremely expensive.
No pay required, talk is cheap.
Glenn

Great choice of names....wish I had used my brain that day.:D

Like Glennjanie says...PT wood is the easiest,cheapest and will lastjust as long as the other exotic woods if kept covered in that stuff you called paint.;)

Welcome aboard ....post some pics when you get into the mess.

Back