Has the price of R22 just doubled?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panabiker

Reaction score
Hi, I was looking to buy a can (30lb) of R22 last August and remember it was about $150 average. I didn't buy it because the weather got cooler and I though I could wait till this year. To my surprise, everywhere I looked, the price is now around $300. Did the price go up or it's spring versus fall price?

Last edited:
R22 is no longer the current refrigerant and is being phased out. I believe it is now R-410A.
Just like when R22 replaced R12, the price of R12 sky-rocketed.
That and yes the seasonal aspect doesn't help either.

In January the EPA mandated a 45% reduction in future production of R-22 in line with the scheduled phase-out. Prices immediately doubled nationwide.

Sad to see it happen because I think 22 kicks all over 410a. we are seeing so many leaks in coils and pressure problems becuause it operates at almost twice the suction and head pressures.

I am glad to hear it is 'earth friendly' because it is venting all over creation with the leaks it is causing.

R134a was such a sweet replacement for R12. Unfortunately it is not that way with 410.

Here is a head to head video of the two.

article here on it

http://phxheatpump.blogspot.com/2012/02/r-22-vs-r-410a.html

I just was on a rooftop last night with a one year old package unit with a 410a leaking coil....

45% reduction? yeah, that explains the price jump. I was aware of the R22 being phased out but I though it would be a more gradual process.

Besides R410a which is not a direct replacement for r22, are there any alternatives to R22? There is something called R22a but I think it's a hydrocarbon, flammable variety. Is Dupont's ISCEON® MO99 any different? Can it be used to top off a R22 system without removing the existing R22?

Last edited:
45% reduction? yeah, that explains the price jump. I was aware of the R22 being phased out but I though it would be a more gradual process.

Besides R410a which is not a direct replacement for r22, are there any alternatives to R22? There is something called R22a but I think it's a hydrocarbon, flammable variety. Is Dupont's ISCEON® MO99 any different? Can it be used to top off a R22 system without removing the existing R22?

I wouldn't. Neither is cheap. If you are talking about a top-off I'd use the 22. Mixing would risk an evacuation and starting over which would be really costly.

Latest posts

Back