How to replace this door strip

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
I know this isn't rocket science but how do you replace the door strip in this picture? Does is just snap in or does the whole molding that's holding it need to be replaced?

I have tried to look for this at a local lumber yard but can't find anything that looks right. Does anyone know where to get this.

Thanks for the help.

P1010011.jpg

Ugly door but fixable. I added notes to your picture (below) to help explain the work. The door stop can be replaced. No problem. The side jamb is a serious issue ... try to clean it up or you might as well replace the entire door with a new one. The closing hardware is shot. Remove and replace. (easy)

Door - Replacing Jamb 1.jpg

Looks like some of the stuff I had in our old farm house, I think it was a felt type strip and was glued in place with maby a few small nails.

That jamb needs a bunch of work before worrying about that seal.
It was shimmed wrong and the jamb may be twisted causing all the gouges on the latch plate.
It needs to be sanded to get rid of all the dents, gouges and scraped off paint.
Primed and repainted two coats.
Any place selling Masonite doors should have that weather sealing stock.
Just grab ahold of it at the bottom with a pair of pliers and pull it out.
Any box store will have a weather stripping that's an aluminum strip with a bulb of white rubber seal on it that gets screwed to the jambs in elongated slots that will work better to seal it.

CLOSE

MD Building Products
Top and Side Door Jamb Weatherstrip Set

Model # 01958

Back