painting help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Reaction score
Ok- I'm not wonderful at painting:confused: I tape off the walls and that is a major pain because we have very ornate trim. I generally go for 2 coats with a roller and use high quality (expensive) paint but it just never looks right. There are spots and the edges are too faint.
Can anyone tell me HOW to paint? DO you do long strokes, short strokes, v shaped strokes?
I have a few rooms left to do in my new home and really need a third coat on the rooms I've already done:(

Thanks!

If you are using a paint with a neutral base it takes many coats to cover. If you are changing color from dark to light this could also be the case. One trick I have learned is to prime the surface before you paint. The primer can be tinted to the color you are using. This always helps with coverage but is an extra step and cost. However primer is always cheaper than paint and can solve the problems you seem to be having

pqglen

Primer is your friend.

Use better tools. Get a 2" tapered cutin brush, I like Purdy brand---the brush should be recommended for the type of paint being used---the dust cover on the brush will tell that.

Use the smaller 1" diameter rollers, you will get better coverage and no roller lines as both ends of those rollers are tapered.

The secret to even paint jobs with a roller is to cut in the edges/corners and keeping a 'wet edge'. That simply means using the brush to paint a 1" or 2" border at the taped or trim areas and in corners. Then use the roller to paint from the top to the bottom of the wall in bands about 2 feet wide. Apply the paint to the entire band and then run the roller in one direction and move over to do the same thing. Once that is done, do not touch or reroll that section again. Move across the wall that way and you will easily cover and blend the bands.

thanks guys!
I am taping off the living room right now and will use this info. I hope to get it painted today and will let you know how it turns out!:)

Back