Tri level roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumsinyerhead

Reaction score
hey guys .. and girls =)

so i have an exisiting roof with two pitches flowing into a lower pitch
i would like to raise the lowest pitch and tie it into the upper pitches

this will be the begining decision on a complete room reno on a house i am doing

the (extremely) rough sketch included is what i have existing of course pitch is not accurate but meant only to give you an idea of what i am up against

the coloured red area is what i would like to change to create more window height and ceiling space for the renovation

please ... any ideas would be appreciated

roof.jpg

Last edited:
here are the pics i promised
as you can see the bottom roof needs to tie into the top two pitches and eliminate the troughing
we would like to level all floors and entrances with the main house
considering the addition floor sits level with the garage entrance but is about 6 inches lower than the house entrance, we will need to raise the garage door lintel
overall we would like about a foot added to the addition height maybe more depending on the doorway lift
the addition is in red on the floor plan

P1050679.jpg

P1050680.jpg

floor plan.jpg

Last edited:
Is the outside wall sitting on a foundation or just built on top of a patio deck. If you have a foundation, you would build the floor and stand new walls to match the house,6" high floor over concrete may be a problem. I wouldn't do anything without footings and foundation. You may want to take the old patio out.
If you are leaving the wall between the rooms in place your local truss company could build add on trusses and they would tell you what and how much of your old roof would have to be removed. The chimney will have to made higher.

what is the reason for extending the chimney ... if i remember correctly is the chimney not to follow the 3/2/10 rule?
clearly we will not be raising the roof any higher than the existing roofs

the existing foundation for ths room is Sonotube

would the roof need fall or could a flat roof be created?

Last edited:
I guess you could design some sort of flat roof, I just thought you would be adding to what you have witch would raise the peak. You could do a lower slope from the the peak that you have. When I first looked at this I thought this was the front of the house, but as it is the back I would just go with the low slope so it didn't show from the front.

Back