My first project question(s)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrs187

Reaction score
Thanks everyone in advance for your help. I just bought a condo and I am going to install an over the range microwave. It appears the previous owners wired the microwave directly to the 3 wires coming out of the wall (white, black and bare).
My first question is should I wire the microwave the same way or should I install a receptacle? Second what will I need to buy in order to install the receptacle? I believe the micro is on its own circuit.
Sorry for the lack of terminology as this is really my first time doing home repairs. I am an automotive technician so I am familiar with AC electrical, not so much with DC.
Thanks,
Jack Myers

I have seen it all in a box, at a big box store. All you need is a box a plug and a cover.
Check first that the wire is copper, black to brass screw white to silver, bare to ground green.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be headed to the store after work. Thanks again

It really depends on the new MW. If it has a plug on it then install a receptacle in the cabinet above to plug it in.
If no plug then hard wire it like the old one.

If Joe is right and you hard wire, it will want to be done in a junction box with a cover.

Unless the MW has a built in junction box. Then bring the cable into the box on the MW, clamp it and make the connections.

I am an automotive technician so I am familiar with AC electrical, not so much with DC.

Automotive is DC not AC.

Hard wiring from the original wire is acceptable. You are dealing with what is probably NB-2 wire which has a ground wire (the bare wire). Your new MW should have an internal box where you can fish the house wire and clamp it in place.

Simply attach the like-colors to each other, using a yellow wire nut. Twist clockwise until it is firm but do not over-tighten as it might snap the wire. I like to wrap each wire connection with a length of electrician tape to ensure long term stability. The ground wire can be twisted without a wire nut but it should be attached to the green screw that is inside the MW (check instructions).

This is nto rocket science -- but it is electricity. Work carefully and systematically. You will do fine.

Latest posts

Back