I drilled a hole through our kitchen cabinet. What now?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason2li

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of baby-proofing my house, and in the process, I accidentally drilled a 9/32" hole through one of our kitchen cabinets.

They are part of the original townhouse materials, which are about 10 years old. They are a light brown finish.

I'm new to the whole do-it-yourself thing, but I'm slowly learning (with messups, of course). But I was wondering what the best option for me is.

Do I:
  • Get a little sticker to cover the hole, and hope it matches?
  • Get in contact with the homeowners association to get a replacement door (would they even still make it)?
  • Putty it, and try to paint it to match?
  • Other...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

not sure what to tell you to do to fix it but someone on here should. I can tell you that the totlocks you are installing work fabulous. I put them on my kitchen cupboards about 2 months ago and love them.

The only thing which will look OK is a wax crayon filler stick. Go to the local hardware store or lumber yard and bring a door to match the color.
It may show a bit, but other than reskining the cabinet, this is the way to go.

Thank you both so much for your fast responses. I'll run up to Home Depot today to pick up the filler stick!

Welcome Jason:
I would try to find out the original cabinet maker and try to buy a new door to match the old.
That failing I would use a plastic wood filler with the wax crayon mentioned by InspectorD to make it match.
Glenn

Back