Flashing problem?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstew96

Reaction score
Hi All, My roofing guy a few years ago placed the asphalt roofing over the flashing. I beleive its supposed to go under the flashing, no? I have a leak, there is a 1/4 step down between the siding and shingle, I have been smearing Henrys roof sealer in/on it, but it doesn't last very long, there is gonna come a day I can't get up on the roof. Is there a better fix for this?

im going through a similar issue right now, new roof and chimney. I was getting a leak where the front and side flashing meet. there was a small upside down v shape. It was filled with silicone and has fixed the issue.

I'm no pro but usually the flashing goes under the roofing, but it depends on what your doing.

Chimney step flashing goes under the shingles overlapping the courses so any water that gets under the shingles will be shed off the roof. The step flashing should be completely covered by the asphalt shingles. Where the step flashing contacts the chimney is where leaks occur most often.

Here is a starting place for you to understand how to properly flash a roof:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ7JQCD6c_8[/ame]

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! :D

PS .... Remember to provide pics when you post and "like" helpful posts from our guys to let them know you got good help.

Back