Put Sheetrock over 100 year old brick

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt

Reaction score
I'm trying to screw furring strips into 100 year brick. I purchased a hammer drill and a masonary bit. After drilling for about 5 minutes the drill barely went through the brick. I put more pressure on the drill and the bit broke. I used a 3/16 3inch bit. Does anyone know how can I get furring strips up so I can sheetrock over the brick wall?

Capt, Most hammer drills have different setting. My dumb question is have got it for hammer and drill?

I have it set to hammer mode. It has two speeds 1&2. I set it to 1. It drills through after a while. Another problem I have is that when I screw the furring strips in, the screw pulls the strips away from the wall then the drill starts to strip the screw head. How can I remedy this?

Pre drill the furring strip with a hole a little larger than the screw you are using. The reach of a screw is the distance between the head and where the threads start. When the reach isn't as big as the thickness of the furing strip the screw will lock up tight in the wood.

Latest posts

Back