Adding 110v Outlet off of 220v Oven Outlet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savatreatabvr

Reaction score
I ran into a problem remodeling my kitchen! I know I'm not the first and I definitely won't be the last but I didn't install an outlet for my microwave. I want to install the new microwave outlet about 6' above the 220v outlet so I'm wondering since the 220v outlet is actually two 110v lines can I tap into one side of the 220v outlet? Like I said it's just a wild guess and I'll probably tap into a close by 110v outlet anyways so don't crucify me for asking a stupid question! It is just a thought.

Sorry ... you cannot do this. You need a dedicated circuit for the microwave. Is it physically possible? Maybe ... Does it violate code and good practices? Yes.

electric-shock.jpg

Like I said it's just a wild guess and I'll probably tap into a close by 110v outlet anyways so don't crucify me for asking a stupid question! It is just a thought.
You cannot, and should not, do this either.
An over the range micro requires a dedicated circuit, typically 20A.
Don't skimp on this.

You cannot, and should not, do this either.
An over the range micro requires a dedicated circuit, typically 20A.
Don't skimp on this.

So tapping into a close by kitchen outlet won't work? Or will it just blow the breaker if something else is plugged in to that circuit?

Latest posts

Back