DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Refrigerators > Ice on bottom of Icemaker

Old 03-01-2015, 04:11 PM  
RMA127
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ice on bottom of Icemaker

Hi have an HSM25gfta. I have noticed that the icemaker is only dispensing crushed ide. Now while it might be the solenoid, i have moved the little plastic switch into the up position at the back and it dispenses cubed for a while. I have noticed that the underside of the icemaker has frozen ice on it. Almost as if water ran down and froze on the bottom, or maybe condensation and it froze. While this freezing is happening inside the Ice bucket some of the ice is bunched up and frozen together. I suspect the CRUSHING im seeing is not the solenoid, but maybe the fact that the ice is not flowing freely and is bunched up and frozen together as it goes to the dispenser and the unit then crushes it. I thought i read somewhere that there is a cycle that causes a freezinfg of the ice and a slight melting. Is that right? Maybe it is that part that is sticking and causing more melting? I should get a technician out and probably will but was curious if this sounds familiar.

Thank you

Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM  
woodchuck
Established Member
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

When the crush control solenoid is at rest, not working, there will be crushed ice. the switch engages the solenoid to produce whole cubes. Listen or observe to see if it's working when you depress the switch. Water will freeze in the ice bin if the input valve on the back bottom of fridge leaks between dump cycles and will build up on all the ice. It will usually be producing larger cubes when this happens.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 119 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would start by defrosting the freezer and getting all the ice out of the ice maker. Cleaning it and starting over. Faster and cheaper than replacing parts and it might just work.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM  
jeff1
Contractor

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Hi,

Quote:
I have noticed that the ice maker is only dispensing crushed ice
Ice maker just makes the cubes, the door dispenser will dispense whole cubes or crushed ones...the ice maker has nothing to do with this.

LINK> http://www.applianceaid.com/refriger...nser.php#cubes

Quote:
I have noticed that the underside of the ice maker has frozen ice on it.
A leak is possible

Quote:
I thought i read somewhere that there is a cycle that causes a freezinfg of the ice and a slight melting. Is that right?
Defrost cycle can do that....but normally doesn't give us crushed only with no whole cubes.

jeff.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 AM  
RMA127
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

OK. I think i figured out what is going on here.

My freezer goes through a cycle where it defrosts/thaws and re-freezes. When this happens the ice gets stuck together when it freezes again, and then the auger is trying to chip away at a frozen block. so i think the problem is not my Icemaker as much as the freezer thawing and refreezing a couple times a day. It is so bad that we have removed all the freezer items and put into the old reliable GE in the garage. So is there a part that controls the freezer temperature such that several times a day it thaws and re-freezes?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 AM  
Sparky617
Liked 119 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA127 View Post
OK. I think i figured out what is going on here.

My freezer goes through a cycle where it defrosts/thaws and re-freezes. When this happens the ice gets stuck together when it freezes again, and then the auger is trying to chip away at a frozen block. so i think the problem is not my Icemaker as much as the freezer thawing and refreezing a couple times a day. It is so bad that we have removed all the freezer items and put into the old reliable GE in the garage. So is there a part that controls the freezer temperature such that several times a day it thaws and re-freezes?
I'll defer to Jeff on the fix, but I suspect the auto-defrost function is broken on this freezer. It sounds like it is working overtime.

Have you tried a manual defrost and clean of this refrigerator/freezer? The auto-defrost does a great job of keeping the frost down on freezers that we don't go through a manual clean on the appliances. A jolly good clean is all a good idea. If you have a electronic thermometer for your oven you can put the probe inside the freezer and set the alarm to say 35 degrees F, and see how often it alarms during the day for the temperature going above that point. This would be best if it was clean and empty with the door closed.

This is the type of thermometer I'm referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Origina...at+thermometer

Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 AM  
RMA127
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks Sparky.

I had it off a couple weeks ago long enough for things to melt(more than they are now) as i was replacing a water valve. Thats what you mean by "manual defrost"(turning it off and letting the freezer section melt/warm up?).

Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 AM  
woodchuck
Established Member
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I suggest that you have a water leak into your ice bin caused by a leaking water Inlet Valve. If it continues to drip on that ice it will freeze together
If it is a defrost problem it would be with the defrost thermostat and not the timer.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 AM  
RMA127
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

the defrost thermostat, is that the part described as the "thermistor"?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 AM  
RMA127
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

how would the water leak make the sides of the freezer moist/wet to touch, it actually warms up in there such that any condensation or ice melts and re-freezes.