DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > Refrigerators > LG Icemaker Won't Make Ice Without Resetting First

Old 04-03-2016, 04:33 AM  
rdgallo
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default LG Icemaker Won't Make Ice Without Resetting First

I am looking for some help with the ice making function on my 2008 LG French Door Refrigerator model number LFX25971SB. First of all, I know this is not a water supply problem or a frozen supply line issue. I think it might be a control board issue and want to know if anyone can help me pin point what is going on.
Here is the story:
Approximately 1 year ago I replaced the original ice maker because the original had lost the cube tray coating and the coating was dropping into the ice bucket. The new ice maker functioned perfectly for about 9 months and then stopped making ice. I could get it to make ice again by resetting the ice maker. It would make ice again for a short time (maybe a day or two) and then stop again. I would reset it and it would make ice again for a short time. I finally got fed up and purchased another ice maker and installed it. It worked flawlessly for about 4 weeks and I am back into the resetting mode again to get ice, but this time It only makes a tray or two and quits. Can anyone tell me what might be going on?
Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 AM  
jeffmattero76
Established Member
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

You might want to try going to www.repairclinic.com and put in your model # and then looking at the troubleshooting information there. They have many videos on how to diagnose and how to repair all types and makes of appliances.

One thought (and I am not an appliance repairman but have rental properties so i do fix some issues) what is the temperature inside your freezer? You might want to try making the freezer colder and see if that cures the problem. I would turn it to the coldest setting, reset the ice maker and then let it go for 24 hours to see what happens.

rdgallo Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 AM  
rdgallo
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I got rid of the refrigerator and bought a different new one. Thanks anyway. One word of advice though....don't buy an LG refrigerator. They are not made very well.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:58 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 556 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I've also heard this quite a bit. LG hasn't been around very long. I believe I would have called their reps to see what they could do for you before tossing it.
rdgallo Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 AM  
rdgallo
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Have you ever tried talking to their reps? You can't understand them and none of them know anything.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 911 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1535

Well, a second fridge in the basement or garage is always handy, and it doesn't really need to make ice. But we live in a disposable world, I suppose.

...and there are plenty of needy folks who probably wouldn't mind the broken ice maker. Next time take it to Restore

Last edited by slownsteady; 04-12-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added thought.
rdgallo Likes This 
Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM  
rdgallo
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I sold it for $325. I already have one in the garage and the basement. The lady I sold it to was happy to get it even though the ice maker didn't work.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:07 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 911 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1535

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgallo View Post
I sold it for $325. I already have one in the garage and the basement. The lady I sold it to was happy to get it even though the ice maker didn't work.
Yeah, that works. Glad to see it didn't get tossed.
rdgallo Likes This 
Old 04-17-2016, 07:16 AM  
frodo
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 915 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 350

What company makes LG appliances?

LG Electronics Inc. (Korean: LG전자, KRX: 066570, LSE: LGLD) is a South Korean multinational electronics company headquartered in Yeouido-dong, Seoul, and a member of the LG Group, employing 82,000 people working in more than 100 locations around the world.

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting
nealtw Likes This