DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > Do I need to replace the water inlet valve?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:44 PM  
sfrisby
Established Member
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Do I need to replace the water inlet valve?

I have an LG LFX25950 refrigerator where the ice maker is not making ice but the water dispenser in the door works just fine.

The ice maker cycles through properly. I even filled the icemaker molds manually and it properly froze and released the cubes into the ice bucket.

So, it seems the problem is getting water into the ice maker. In attempt to do my own homework, I am lead to believe I should replace the water inlet valve. But, since the door gets water and I have tested the water lines, past the water inlet valve, up to where the line connects to the ice maker through the top of the back of the fridge, water is flowing. Water doesn't flow on its own. The water tab in the door needs to be depressed and water will flow out the hose in back. Not sure if that says anything about the ice maker or not.

Do you feel the water inlet valve should still be replaced?

Thanks.
Spencer

Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 PM  
johnjh2o
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sometimes the water line will freeze where it enters the cube tray. Try using a blow dryer at that location.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:05 AM  
sfrisby
Established Member
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
Sometimes the water line will freeze where it enters the cube tray. Try using a blow dryer at that location.
In order to address this possibility, I turned off the ice maker for about 3 or 4 days. When off, cold air is no longer blown into the ice maker. Would you think this would suffice to melt anything possibly frozen over in the line?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1133 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 1850

So, did it work? If not, you have to warm the line. You should probably run a pipe cleaner into the tube while it is thawed; a little clog could slow the flow enough to freeze.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 AM  
sfrisby
Established Member
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
So, did it work? If not, you have to warm the line. You should probably run a pipe cleaner into the tube while it is thawed; a little clog could slow the flow enough to freeze.
Sorry, in my head I was stating that turning off the ice maker did not work. I will take a hair dryer to the connection and report back. Thanks.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 PM  
sfrisby
Established Member
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Been out of town and finally got to removing the ice maker and heating the water line with a hair dryer. Nothing changed, so I am back to square one. Any other suggestions, folks?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2944 Times on 2580 Posts
Likes Given: 4847

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
Been out of town and finally got to removing the ice maker and heating the water line with a hair dryer. Nothing changed, so I am back to square one. Any other suggestions, folks?

Thanks.
The water line does need a certain pressure or the pump wont work.
Have you checked to see if your are getting power to the switch?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:33 PM  
sfrisby
Established Member
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does the fact you can get water out of the door not demonstrate power and pressure or is that separate from what extends beyond the door and into the ice maker?

But to answer your question, no, I have not checked for power. You are referencing the water inlet valve? What I'm trying to understand is, if the water inlet valve gets water to the door and the ice maker makes ice when the trays are filled manually, does that not demonstrate power at all points?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Understand first, I don't know anything about these things.

I would think that there are two routes for water the door as it's own valve when you call for water no need for an electric valve.

But the ice maker does have to have some type of switch so likely held closed with a spring and a magnet that opens it but it would require some pressure to push it open.

I have had a fridge that dumped water at the door so we turned down the valve to control the flow and the ice maker quit filling. Then it was fixed by others so I don't know what the fix was.

I would want to know the switch is getting power because you could be replacing it when there is a bigger problem in the controller.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

This is helpful
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=10090.0