roof deck insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfowl83

Reaction score
Hi i have a house i'm remodeling and plan on moving the furnace into the attic. There is no basement and at only 600 square feet i don't want it taking up floor space. So to do this I need to insulate the roof deck. Is this doable with rigid foam or do I need it spray foamed. I know spray is better but the cost make me want to check for other options. From what i understand bat insulation isn't an option. I live in climate zone 5. let me know what you think is best or if there is additional info you need for a better answer. Thanks in advance.

I am far from an insulation expert but I am told if the sheet product is thick enough and sealed into the cavity with a foam seal product it will work the same as sprayed in place foam. The key is sealing it.

thanks i'll look into that. the inspector guy didn't mention that but i don't think attic furnaces are common around here. Most places have basements.

Any other thoughts on how to insulate if needed or if i decide to go that route?

I would check into just building an insulated room around the furnace.
To insulate the deck you want to maintain the air flow from soffet to to peak and all that, if you use foam, in some places that has to be covered with drywall.

Our code makes an exception for a furnace rated for exterior which could be used in un insulated space so the furnace might cost a few more dollars.

...hmmpf...

So code is saying that the attic install furnace/air handler must be provided proper insulation to prevent heat/cooling loss unless it is exterior rated (cabinet insulated)?

Learned factoid of the day... :)

...hmmpf...

So code is saying that the attic install furnace/air handler must be provided proper insulation to prevent heat/cooling loss unless it is exterior rated (cabinet insulated)?

Learned factoid of the day... :)

I can't imagine what the difference is.

I can't imagine what the difference is.

Whet I am thinking is a retro-fit, whereas the air handler is being moved from a heated space into the attic, needs to be insulated. Also a new or service replacement by a contractor.

I have a split system on my abode. Never thought to check the attic Model No. to see if it is factory insulated. Builder/contractor might have tried to save some money... :(

Back