Ice around cold air intake

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw53589

Reaction score
Last year before we finished our basement, I noticed some icing around the outside of our cold air intake. Granted it was below 0 degrees for about 5 days in a row. My contractor put some more fiber glass insulation around it by the basement sill and said it should be OK. He then put the drywall up for the basement ceiling. The cold air intake is just below my living room window. I noticed frost on the drywall at the bottom of the window, on the side of the cold air intake. My contractor came out, drilled a few holes in the wall under the window and sprayed foam. No more frost was seen. Winter is near. I am concerned about this. I am thinking about taking off the siding around the outside cold air intake and drilling holes around it. I want to then spray as much foam in there as it will allow me to around it. Does this make sense? I would rather do that now vs. winter time. Do you suggest I cut a hole in the basement ceiling drywall for access and approach it that way? Any suggestions are appreciated.

back of house.jpg

Hmm , something new everyday. It should been been insulated duct. You are bringing in cold air, moisture in the house is condensing and then freezing. If you insulate it where it enters the house there will be less heat to warm that air so you might just be moving the problem along to another area.
If it is going to a furnace room or close to a furnace the cavity around it should be insulated all the way to the furnace so the cold air will be warmed there where there is less moisture in the air.
After solving that problem you do need to work harder at lowering the humidity in the house.

Hmm , something new everyday. It should been been insulated duct. You are bringing in cold air, moisture in the house is condensing and then freezing. If you insulate it where it enters the house there will be less heat to warm that air so you might just be moving the problem along to another area.
If it is going to a furnace room or close to a furnace the cavity around it should be insulated all the way to the furnace so the cold air will be warmed there where there is less moisture in the air.
After solving that problem you do need to work harder at lowering the humidity in the house.
Thank you for the reply. Yes- it is wrapped with insulation. I attached a pic. I keep the dehumidifier running all winter and the relative humidity in the basement is 30-35 max.

image.jpg

Thank you for the reply. Yes- it is wrapped with insulation. I attached a pic. I keep the dehumidifier running all winter and the relative humidity in the basement is 30-35 max.

I am confused at what I see, is the black house wrap, some kind of foil? where is the duct.

Any amount of moisture in the house will cause ice when near freezing.
So it must be and insulation problem.

Hello, The black is an insulated wrap that did say specifically for hvac purposed but I am not sure of the name brand since the dryawall is up now. The foil tape is right at the end of the black insulation that cover the duct. The foil is coverving the joint from the air intake opening to the duct in the sill. Then it is wrapped with the fiberglass insulation.

Hope that helps. Either way, thanks for taking a look...

Back