Floor squeaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

Reaction score
I bought a newer home and had carped removed and high quality laminated flooring installed before moving in.
Now I have discover a few major squeaks in my floor.
I understand why the floor squeaks and some of the ways to help.
Just wish I had known this before installing the flooring-would have been easy to fix.
Anyone know of a good way to at least help with the noise?
I have easy access under floor.

Can you tell us about the floor sheating from underneath?

Construction is 1/2 plywood subfloor over diagonally spaced 2 x 6 mounted to 2x10 floor joist 16" OC.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The repair is a 2 person project, find and mark the areas of the squeaks, preferably with a tape designed for masking furniture grade finishes.

Then the underfloor person, armed with a packages of wedges/shims, hammer, a caulking gun and paneling or floor sheating adhesive, proceeds to the offending squeak. Gently insert the the wedge/shim too slightly raise the sheating, fill with the adhesive on both sides of the wedge/shim, then remove the wedge/shim.

At the floor surface, with a 2X4 block wrapped with a thin carpet or dense rag hammer the flooring down to reset the floor sheating fastener that has worked its way loose.

An alternative to this is the edge nail the flooring with finish nails and fill with putty stick.

The under floor person guides the person nailing, to ensure the floor joists at engaged.

First trick if you have access from below, look for nails and screws that just missed the joist and are rubbing.

I have the same issue, but the squeak seems to be located along and below an upstairs wall. Suggestions please.

Probably where the subfloor meets the joists. If you have access from underneath, you could screw it from there. If you don't have access, and you are up for a challenge.......since laminate is a floating floor, you could disassemble the lam by reversing the click-lock method......up to the place where the squeak occurs, repair the squeak and reassemble the click-lock floor. This should be do-able but I can't swear to it.

I have the same issue, but the squeak seems to be located along and below an upstairs wall. Suggestions please.
By upstairs , it sounds like a wall below trusses. Trusses are often toenailed to the walls. That and the fact the wall board fights to keep the wall straight and the floor can flex when you walk on it. The wall is nailed the floor with nails that are straight down often only to plywood only. Even screwing the wall to the floor might fix the squeak for now but the nails from the bottom plate to the studs are also straight up and down and can also come to squeak later.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Do you think it might help to put screws into the wall from the basement through the joist?

Do you think joist spacers or brackets might stabilize the flooring?

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Do you think it might help to put screws into the wall from the basement through the joist?

Do you think joist spacers or brackets might stabilize the flooring?
If you can locate the wall from the basement, yes. If it is just on plywood subfloor you will see a row of nails.

Back