Cast Iron P-Trap Under Bathtub Collapsed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes you can tie vents together to cut down on roof penetrations.
its called reventing

if you need to open a wall for a bathroom. that has tile.etc.

open the opposite side of the wall. the bedroom/closet side to save your tile

Given that even after having replaced all the rough-in plumbing under the bathtub and also going down to the crawlspace in order to replace the P-trap and some fittings did not work out well considering that the 1 1/2 cast iron tee and nipples were still plugged then I had no choice but go further to the very end and replace it till the main line which exits the house...

I opened a cavity on the sheetrock backing the closed that is behind the the bathtub to have access to the vent and using a neoprene coupling made a connection, then proceeded to repLace the whole remainder of the cast iron with PVC as shown below:

16089470991_c5269e053f_c.jpg

15889252128_5753e85b06_c.jpg

I then naively assumed that the main source of the clog was gone (lots of corrosion inside cast iron walls to the point whereby the thing was plugged by corrosion), but the main line was seemingly ok... After having put everything in place to my despair I found out that thing was still completely plugged, 100% plugged, and the water inside the bathtub would stand still and withstand the test of time and still stand still... so all the hell broke loose and I removed part of the new pvc installed got my high speed drill with a large fat drill bit and put inside the cast iron and virtually dissolved all the hard sludge there for good, and now the drain works like a charm at high speed :)

That can be an on going problem, glad you you solved it.:D
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_k03JzWrPU[/ame]

>>>>>>>>>>>>tip<<<<<<<<<

go buy a
1" water heater pan drain fitting.
3/4 pvc male adapter glue adapter into 1" adapter
brass 3/4 fip x hose connector

drill a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, install fitting
when ever you have a gusher, put bucket under leak, hose to outside

when not in use, use bucket to carry tools

saved my butt in the ceiling of a library

Back