Muddy ditch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottman1027

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 3 acre lot that slopes down from about the middle of the property to a ditch that is out front by the road. The ditch obviously gets wet when it rains, but it stays wet sometimes for a week or so even with dry sunny weather. Normally I just dont mow this area because it is a 300' foot long stagnant mud pit. By the time it dries out enough to get the mower in there the grass is usually a foot tall.

I have thought about regrading and trying to slope it so the water runs off, but the lot is nearly perfectly level across the whole 300'. I have also considered digging out a trench a few feet deep and filling it with some pea gravel and some sand soil mix on the top so the grass will still grow. The only problem I see with the last idea is dealing with all the buried utilities right by the road. Could there be an easement issue here? I may have to live with it?

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance!

If it doesn't happen often, you could pump the water out with a rental or purchased trash pump. It could be your property with an easement or it could be the county's property-- you need to check the survey/plat. In either case, you couldn't guarantee that your changes would remain the same if others had access to it.

How about planting the area with plants that like the wet and not mow it?

If it doesn't happen often, you could pump the water out with a rental or purchased trash pump. It could be your property with an easement or it could be the county's property-- you need to check the survey/plat. In either case, you couldn't guarantee that your changes would remain the same if others had access to it.

Good point about any changes I make may get destroyed when the county decides to lay some fiber optics or something.

I could pump some out, I just dont have a place to pump it to. I think it would run right back into the ditch.

Planting some wetland friendly plants may be an option, just that all the neighbors have nice mowed ditches. Of course their land all slopes so the water runs off. I suppose I could dare to be different! Thanks for the ideas. :)

We tend to try to make less lawn, and more landscape design stuff around here. I hate mowing the lawn, I would rather plant some squash and have nice flowers and something to eat at the end of the day.
Look into plants, be different.:D

Latest posts

Back