Adding gabled porch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatee

Reaction score
I am going to be adding a gabled porch on the front of my house.
We have been remodeling for 2yrs, and are now trying to finish the exterior.

I am a fair at framing & roofing and, I am able to do the work myself.

The question I have is, can I tie into the existing roof without cutting into it?
Is a double header needed to secure the ridge board?

Here is what it looks like now.
Thankyou for any input.

Nov04^02.JPG

Welcome Goatee:
Yes, you can tie in with the existing roof with out cutting. I would slip a flat bar under the existing shingles and pop the nails out. Lay them aside until you put the roofing on the porch and weave them together. A woven valley is the safest of all valley procedures.
No double header is needed because the Jack rafters will be helping to support the load.
Glenn

Thanks for answering so quickly.

What I am wondering is, do I nail my 2x6's down to the existing roof to act as
valley rafters; and then tye the ridge board into the top.

Yes, just remove the shingles in the line of the valley first to facilitate the weaving process. It will be much quicker to nail all the parts to the surface than to cut into the existing roof trying to tie into framing members.
You could set trusses over the porch area then extend the ridge line to the existing roof by stretching a string to mark the intersection of the ridge board. The valley rafters will need a compound cut at the bottom but that's easy enough with your circular saw set on an angle.
Hang in there!
Glenn

Latest posts

Back