Bird Feeders

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham

Reaction score
Hi All, I need some help. I have a couple of bird feeders on a pole in my yard and the seeds fall on the lawn below. I made an open box frame under the feeders, put landscape fabric in it and then filled it with river stone. after 2 weeks, all sorts of plants are coming up through the stones. How do I get rid of them? I thought of replacing the stone with sand to be able to rake it once a week or so, but I'm not sure that this will work. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Graham
http://www.shortcuts.ns.ca

If the birds are eating the dropped seeds out of the box, then you need not spray Roundup.

Maybe a salt mixture buried an inch or so under the rock would kill the plants from below the surface.

Anyone else??

The plants are the seeds that have dropped onto the stone and fabric and have germinated.

Better solution imho would be to just let the seeds fall onto the open box frame and let the birds eat them.

Or try a self-closing feeder tlike this one. I have one similar to this in my yard.
It keeps seed in much better than most and will not allow large birds and squirrels to get to the seed.

Their weight on the feeding perch closes the feeding ports.

http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=HF-7536

Graham, You're just talking about an open frame like a concretre form, right?

Putting a solid bottom in it may be the best thing.

Yeah, that would be the answer, many thanks.

OR--you can let them grow. Crazy, right?

I have a feeding station, more like a cafe. 6 feeders, two baths, decaying logs strewn about, and I've planted woodland sunflowers and a Jerusalem artichoke (both native and needing no extra TLC). So, when the sunflower seeds I put out aren't eaten, they grow. The thistle for the finches doesn't grow, and neither does the safflower (that I know of).
If there's filler in your feed, you will get filler weeds. The birds ignore what they don't care for, and they could care less that you paid hard earned $$ by the lb for the filler :) I recommend buying single seed bags, if you want a mix you can do it yourself. That way the only thing that grows under your feeder is something that will also benefit the birds.
Lemme see if I can get some pics up for you...so you can see the worst thing that could happen for youself :)

ok, pics are in my gallery!

Back