Chandelier wiring help please

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa2003

Reaction score
Hi there, I had an electrician come and re-wire our main floor. He added spot lights everywhere. At the time we did not have a chandelier for our dinning room.

Now, we have purchased it and are trying to install it, however are having a little difficulty.

Here is our problem;

in the dinning room we have two dimmers, one controls the spots, the other the chandelier.

In the dimmer boxes I have three black wires, three white wires and one red. All white are connected. Then I have one black connected to one black wire from both dimmers (so three blacks) then one black is connected to the red wire of one dimmer and the other black connected to the other red wire of the other dimmer, and the red is just cap off.

In the chandelier box I have two white wires connected to the ribbed transparent chandelier wire and two black wires connected to the smooth transparent chandelier and a red wire cap off.

Now the dimmer for the spots works, but the chandelier one doesn't. The lights are on, but won't turn off or dimme.

Does it have to do with the red wire? And where do I connect it?

Thank you for your answers.

It sounds like the power is coming from the black wire in the chand. box. The whites are fine but hook the other wire to the red. Power is comming in on the black, goes to the switch and comes back on the red.

Bad dimmer. The red wire is not connected at both ends so it is not an issue. It was installed so that if you have a ceiling fan you could have separate control of the fan and the light.

Swap the two black to red wire connections to the dimmers, the problem should swap over to the other set of lights.

Back