Stonewall23's Howdy!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewall23

Brother
Reaction score
Hello Folks!

My name is Stonewall and I look forward to interacting with all you good people with your projects as well as my own.

I closed on my first house the day I turned 24 back in August. It's a 700sf or so Ranch style home in upstate New York and each room is practically an addition. I've got a true fixer-upper on my hands here so this forum will be my home for years to come.

Here is a few pictures of my (small) place:

DyNtODa.jpg

ouUZdP9.jpg

4w9BFJi.jpg

I look forward to sharing all of my projects with you guys.

-Stonewall

Welcome Stonewall. Not a bad looking place and it seems well kept up.

There were a lot of places built like that by the owner and every time they got some money they added a room here and there.

What are your short and long range plans for the new house.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Bud - I've got two list currently going, a need list and a want list. Most of the items on my need list will require more intensive planning and capital so I'll have threads mostly on those projects.

On of the biggest thing on my need list is going to be taller ceilings. The two main rooms of the house (the living room and dining room) have only 6 foot ceilings. After a couple months of hitting my head on the light fixture I decided to tear down the ceiling tiles, unscrew a couple sections of plywood, push back the insulation, and get a good idea for what I would need to re-frame my joists to gain another 12" - 18" and it's a structural nightmare... The ridge board is two 1x4s and one has a full on crack. The original rafters are all 2x2's and have been "repaired" at least once. I'm looking at a complete 10'x12' roof tear off and structural demo in the spring and replacing the proper way. I've worked for a structural engineering firm in the past and can size all of the members. I've also got access to AutoCAD at my current job so I've got all winter to plan the phasing and get the bill of materials set up. That thread will have tons of pictures and Cad generated diagrams, I'll need some advise along the way but I hope that in the long run that thread will help others who have a similar situation.

I've got a lot more on the lists and will be sharing those projects as they come about.

cheers!

Back